Heart attack patients may be asked to undergo a number of diagnostic tests and other procedures. If you know what these tests are and why they are doing you will feel more secure. These tests are important and help the doctor determine if the heart attack or stroke actually happened and how severe they were. These tests help the doctor determine what kind of treatments and changes in your lifestyle will keep you healthy and prevent serious medical events in the future.
To learn more about what diagnostic tests and procedures can be performed in the event of a heart attack or stroke, visit the website of the Cardiology Services from Thomson.
The treatment for cardiovascular diseases depends on the type and severity of the disease. The treatment may include:
- Lifestyle changes: Whether the cardiovascular disease is of medium or severe level, it is likely that a doctor will recommend changes in their lifestyle as part of the treatment. Changes in lifestyle include:
- Doing physical activity
- Eating healthy food
- Check your blood pressure
- Control cholesterol
- Keep diabetes under control
- Visit the Diabetes websitefor more information
- Manage stress
- Visit the Medicine Pluswebsite for more information on how to manage stress
- Reduce the amount of salt and sodium in the food
If changes in your lifestyle are not enough, the doctor may prescribe medications to control cardiovascular diseases. The prescribed medications can be used to lower blood pressure, to thin the blood or to reduce cholesterol.
Medical Procedures or Surgery
If the medications are not enough, the doctor may recommend specific procedures or surgery. For more information on possible procedures for cardiovascular disease or stroke, visit the website of the Cardiology Services from Thomson.